Thursday, March 24, 2011

A Blessing and a Curse

The Taurus and I were driving home the other day when it happened. I liked the song playing on the radio, and I actually reached out my hand to hit "Like". Where I thought my hand was going, I'm still not sure. It wasn't until I almost touched the dashboard that I realized my car has no "Like" button. That's only Pandora and Facebook. 

On numerous occasions when I've needed a tool of some sort (a vacuum, hammer, bottle opener, etc.), my first thought is to see if my phone has an app for that. This is embarrassing! Am I dumb? Maybe. But I live in a world of electronics. People almost don't know how to experience life without an electronic device on or near their person at all times. My very first instinct when I encounter something I like, dislike, or need to solve, is to see how my gadgets can help me accomplish what I'm doing. I have a huge world out there. One so big it fits in the palm of my hand.

If I didn't have Yelp mobile, how would I ever decide where to eat?! If Pandora didn't create perfectly customized playlists, I might not even like music, or know half of what I listen to even existed. How would I ever have time to pay bills, get directions, and read the news if I couldn't do it on the go, when and where and how I wanted to?  

This perfectly customizable life is the good life... right? We've arrived?  

2 comments:

  1. My question is what song was on the radio that you wanted to "Like"?

    Inquiring minds must know!

    LD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't remember. It's a crying shame.

    This is why the "Like" feature is so brilliant, because I don't have to remember the song in order to hear it again.

    ReplyDelete