Sunday, March 22, 2009

I've Lost My Marvels!

(I often come to my blog expecting to find a new post written to pique my interest, as if there's a blog wizard that writes here when I didn't. haha)

The last few Sundays I've listened to sermons about worship, and how, as creatures made to worship, this must define our every moment. This morning, my pastor mentioned the word "marvel" only once, but that triggered something. I immediately knew I had lost some of this over the last while, and I missed it dearly! I find great pleasure in life and all the tiny details that make life what it is. I try to consciously observe these things and appreciate them, as they easily go unnoticed. To marvel is to find God fascinating. It is to take in all you can handle until you're overwhelmed with goodness. Little things go unnoticed and life suddenly transforms into khakis, bland and colorless -- sometimes even pleated. To notice the delicate center of a flower or listen to birds sing outside your window is to observe the fulfillment of God's promises. If I don't observe it there, how will I trust His promises to me? God asks us for faith, but He's given us plenty of evidence on which to ground it.

Marveling at who God is and the character of what He does deepens faith and confidence in Him. It makes it real to my soul. His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me. Silly me. And my only excuse is that I was busy, or careless, or unintentional, or whatever you want to call it.

Hebrews 13:15
Through him then let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that acknowledge his name.

1 comment:

  1. Amen! How often we miss the "small" blessings God has given. Is any blessing really small when we consider who it came from?!

    ReplyDelete