Sunday, February 27, 2011

Rice, Articles and a Song

This is not a food blog. It's not. But because it is a life blog and food is a part of life, food is making another brief appearance. I desperately want to cook well, both because I enjoy eating good food and I know you do too. And because I might want to invite you to dinner one of these days, good food is a must for us both. They say practice makes perfect. Really? Because this is the third meal I've recently tried to make with long grain brown rice, and this is the third time I've eaten crunchy rice. Enough is enough! Just you wait, Rice.

Remember last post when I was procrastinating for my critique group? Turns out I was way over-prepared. I also discovered that my writing and editing abilities will receive a nice kick in the pants, making for more interesting and well-written blog posts. Hooray! 

I talked about for women only a short while ago, and my mind has mulled. To add to the stack of thoughts, a friend sent me two articles that, combined with the book, make a girl's brain all but burst. Article One addresses why women are still single, and is interesting, abrasive and crass. Article Two is the most thorough explanation I've yet seen about men in their 20's. It is an excerpt from the book Manning Up: How the Rise of Women has Turned Men into Boys. The idea that feminism created much of this mess has fascinated me for a while, and I'm thrilled Kay Hymowitz decided to write a book on it. In many ways, feminism backfired, and I want to know what we can do about it. 

After brainstorming all week, I came up with zero solutions (this is the same reason I read the news in moderate-to-low doses). I feel I owe my generation every ounce of effort I can muster because our issues run deep and are of monstrous proportion. What can a twiggy 25-year-old who doesn't read the news possibly do to help? My best bet is to pray. And then to live my life like I believe that both men and women are irreplaceable, worthwhile and necessary to each other. When change seems unlikely and I don't know that I will make a difference, it's tempting to either despair or become indifferent. But when I consider God and His promises to redeem mankind, His infinite knowledge and grace, I can breathe again and be content to live the best way I know how in my little corner of the world -- and let the results be up to Him.

The same friend that shared the articles shared this song. It's a beautiful song, and I'm resentful to it right now because I have to admit to being a closet sap. This song is sappy and dramatic, but I love it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment