Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The Good East

I've learned not to plaster my forehead against airplane windows because you can always tell when someone does. The grease smear makes me lose my appetite and get real friendly with whoever shares my armrest. So I admired Washington DC through the window, not on the window. The view from the air prepared me for life on the ground. The stately lawns, aged trees and manicured drives all suggested established intelligence. In the fading sun, the monuments and government buildings seemed to sparkle. It was all over for me before I even hit the runway.

photo credit: playing in traffic

When I stepped into thick, warm air and saw boat shoes and driving moccasins everywhere I looked, I knew it would be a good week. Is it crazy to you that people live amongst so much history? The trail by the Potomac River was swarming with joggers and bikers, as though it was no big deal that the Jefferson Memorial was right there. I thought about moving just so I could run there. I was caught off guard that entire week. It was, after all, a work trip. Who would've thought it would change my life?

I arrived on a Sunday evening. Monday morning came, I set to work at 8:00 a.m. and didn't look up until Thursday afternoon at 4:00 p.m. Our events flew by and from all I could see, were fairly seamless. The week began with a dinner cruise on the Potomac River and ended with a morning meeting in the Cannon House Office Building. I met some incredible people, and after months of emails and phone chats, was finally able to put a face with a voice. There's something different about people who genuinely love the Lord, and there's an unforgettable dynamic when they get together in a big group.

To end the week, I spent Friday with JT doing all her favorite things. She's a film editor in DC, lives in a charming old house in Arlington and drives a zippy little city car. And she has an incredible soul. Yep, the whole kit and kaboodle, right in one spot. We ate sushi, explored old book stores, drank coffee and tea, and saw the Givers l-i-v-e at the Black Cat.

Some things I discovered:

Mussels are not for me. They feel more like I'm eating a tongue made of flab rather than muscle.

A hammock, even for 15 minutes, can almost be enough to cure all ails.

If I ever moved to DC, it would be to Georgetown. I need to start saving. Yesterday.

I'm still capable of being undone in one fell swoop.

God sometimes answers prayer in the most unexpected ways.

I like boats!

I hope to visit again. Soon.

2 comments:

  1. can't wait to hear details!!! welcome back :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad I found your blog. That firt image alone, of the Cherry trees with the monument in the background, is worth the price of admission and so much more. I echo your feelings about that town D.C. and Georgetown.

    I've posted a few from there too. Very much enjoyed yours. Thank you, peace and all good things for you in creativity and in life.

    Sincerely,
    Diane

    ReplyDelete