Wednesday, October 28, 2009

A Plea. Where's the light at the end of the tunnel?

Job searching is the pits. Er, I love considering the endless possibilities that speckle the horizon!!

I lost track of when I started this major hunt. Granted, there are many souls who have been looking far longer than I, and blessings be upon them, but seriously. We need jobs.

I'm not going to say this isn't a rant, because it is. But it's short. We try to put our best foot forward, yes? Yes. I don't believe I can do this online, simply by pasting my resume, typing out my work history 389157468 times and clicking 'submit.' I'm happy to do all those things, to the moon and back, but let me shake your hand and look you in the eye and then hand you the nitty-gritty details on paper. By looking at someone's resume, you can't usually tell if they're bright and promising or if you'd be better off hiring a dead fish. Trust me, I've been on the hiring side of the job search.

I decided to defy this online limitation and walk in with my resume and cover letter in hand. At one particular locale, I had quite an adventure getting past the front desk to HR. When I did, I was told how to apply online. Good. I walked out, still clutching my resume and cover letter, and drove straight back home to the opportunity awaiting me online.

Someone's potential is not found on paper. Can I get an AMEN?

It's time for a breakthrough.

2 comments: