Sunday, October 25, 2009

Known

Omniscience. If you're anything like me, you've thought about omniscience, marveled, but concluded you couldn't comprehend it, so logged it away in the mental archives for later. I don't know that I've ever thought about how God's all-knowledge affects me personally besides the uncomfortable understanding that He knows all my deepest, darkest secrets even better than I do. He knows the past, present, and future of the whole world. And that's about the extent of my comprehension of the matter.

That is, until I read A.W. Tozer's thoughts. "... no unsuspected weakness in our characters can come to light to turn God away from us, since He knew us utterly before we knew Him and called us to Himself in the full knowledge of everything that was against us." I still don't know why this overwhelmed me like it did. As I type, it seems like such a fundamental pillar of Christianity. The moment I read it, I realized that somewhere inside me, I believe I can test God's unconditional love and perhaps shock or disappoint Him out of His decision to call me to Himself. There is no shock factor, no element of surprise, when He already knew your whole plan. Foiled. I suppose one of my greatest fears is believing that I hold His rich love forever only to find in the end that I believed a lie. That terrifies me, and my reaction is to test it. Wrong move (Courage and Faith, enter stage right). 

All glory be to Him who chose us and called us to Himself when we were dead in our transgressions. I'm not cool enough, nerdy enough, pretty or ugly enough to get His attention. He wasn't looking at that. When He looked, He saw death in us. But because of His great love with which He loved us, we have redemption through the blood of Jesus, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace. Why this is so hard for bird-brain to grasp, I don't know, but my little moment of revelation seriously helped, so I had to share.

1 comment:

  1. I sent you an e-mail via facebook with something that I wrote on this very matter a few years ago. Being known by God is something that has resulted in so much time and thought for me. Concrete yet elusive.

    the full response seemed a bit inappropirate for a "comment", thus the email.

    ReplyDelete