Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Two Weeks Vacation

Hi from Glasgow! I didn't think I'd be able to blog while I was away, so this is fun. My brother and I galavanted across Switzerland last week and are getting to know Glasgow this week. We've been to Edinburgh and caught the tail-end of the Fringe Festival, and today we have some biking adventures planned.

The two of us have learned a lot, even about communication. When we were in Switzerland, he was just about the only human being I could talk to or have any sort of meaningful conversation with. A week of this and you almost feel like Castaway. No, that's dramatic. But really, you learn to hold your tongue a lot and go with the flow a lot and choose to remember the adventure instead of the hassle.

Of the European countries I've spent any time in, I'd say that Italy (six years ago) is inspiring, Switzerland is breathtaking, and Scotland is great fun. The Scots are a dadgum fun people. I confess you'll be hearing much more about Scotland than about Switzerland. I had a difficult time connecting to the culture in Switzerland, and you can only write so much about beautiful mountains. The minute we arrived in Scotland though, we felt like part of it all.

Much more will be coming, so stay tuned. I'll tell you a story or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment