Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Dr. H

I met a lifelong optimist tonight, a rarity in the world of psychologists. Dr. H was in the next seat over at the Colorado Springs Entrepreneurs group, and he took immediate interest in the work I do as an organizer. In his 18 years of psychology, he has worked with over 5,000 children who struggle with ADD, autism, or some other form of mental handicap. 5,000!

Organization starts on the inside, in the mind and heart, not on a desk or inside a closet. Dr. H understood this and connected it with these kids. Apparently one of their biggest challenges to overcome is a severely disorganized mind. Being ADD himself, he could only help them so far and was thrilled at the thought of an organizer being able to reach them and equip them with what they need to push through their setbacks.

Talk about opening a can of worms. This could be an entire life's work! Whether it's the right niche for me is yet to be determined, but it certainly tugged on my heartstrings. Growing up with my mysterious, challenged sister has exposed me to a tiny piece of that world, and making a difference requires compassionate people who I'm convinced must be angels in disguise.

Time for a big cup of tea and a prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment